Sustainable Energy for Development: People, organizations, and projects active in environmentally benign energy sources for developing countries.
Sunday, June 09, 2002
: "World Bank Fossil Fuel Projects (current through Sept. 30, 2001):
- Fossil fuel financing, World Bank Group, since 1992: $20.8 billion
- Estimated lifetime carbon dioxide emissions from these projects: 40.6 billion tons
- Worldwide carbon dioxide emissions from consumption/flaring of fossil fuels, 1999: 22.3 billion tons
- Renewable energy/energy efficiency financing, World Bank Group, since 1992: $900 million
- Number of World Bank Group renewable energy/energy efficiency projects, since 1992: 30
- Number of World Bank Group fossil fuel projects, since 1992: 212 "
: "The Sustainable Energy and Economy Network, a project of the Institute for Policy Studies (Washington, DC) and the Transnational Institute (Amsterdam), works in partnership with citizens groups nationally and globally on environment, human rights and development issues with a particular focus on energy, climate change, environmental justice, gender equity, and economic issues, particularly as these play out in North/South relations." Site contains research papers and a database of selected intl projects, both renewable and fossil fuel. 12:45:38 AM