|Updated: 5/16/2006; 12:41:55 PM.
|Ken Novak's Weblog
Purpose of this blog: to retain annotated bookmarks for my future reference, and to offer others my filter technology and other news. Note that this blog is categorized. Use the category links to find items that match your interests.
Subscribe to get this blog by e-mail.
New: Read what I'm reading on Bloglines.
Wednesday, November 16, 2005
Why the Democrats Are Happy Warriors: 5 ideas for 2006, from the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee:
- Expand support for higher education. "Make college as universal in the 21st century as high school was in the 20th"; three out of four jobs in the new, high-tech economy require two years or more of higher education.
- Create a National Institute of Science and Engineering, like the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Funding for the nih has quadrupled since the 1980s, from $7 billion to $28 billion. "That's why we lead in pharmaceuticals and medical technology." Funding for science has been stagnant—about $5 billion—during that period. "I'd quadruple it and concentrate on nanotechnology, broadband and energy."
- Promote energy independence. Reduce foreign oil by 50% in 10 years. Create a hybrid economy. Use government contracts and tax incentives to boost solar and wind power.
- "You got a job, you got health care." Give the uninsured vouchers for use in the insurance system that covers federal employees.
- Organize a bipartisan summit on the budget. Balance it. Everything on the table—loopholes, pork, Bush tax cuts. [And this requires:] "Clean up the relationship between lobbyists and legislators -- .. the gifts, free trips, the revolving-door lobbying jobs for staff members."
Copyright 2006 © Ken Novak.
Last update: 5/16/2006; 12:41:55 PM.